Friday 22 April 2011

Here's the thing with this..



   
    This has been on my mind, ever since I was watching the Say Yes to the Dress marathon with my sis like a week ago. There's this new show and it's a spin off to the ever engrossing Say Yes to the Dress franchise. Yes, you guessed it. It's called Say Yes to the Dress Big Bliss. Basically, it's the same show as before, but this time instead of watching a whole range of brides picking their dress we strictly get to see plus sized brides-to-be go through the ordeal. And here's what I have to say about this "fantastic" show idea. What the hell? No like seriously what is this crap? It is offensive on so many different levels. And I'm not talking about the weight issue, because why would I have a problem with that? No. Here's my counter argument to my own argument first.
    It's great that we can have a show about plus size women without them "having" to lose weight on a game show. And it really is wonderful that we are liberating these women on the show, because in all reality, as much as everyone would like to think differently, they really are no different from anyone else. So what's the problem you ask? The problem is, that while trying to normalize plus size women, to illustrate that there is just more to love, you are isolating them from the equation and dedicating a show strictly to this cause and that ultimately insinuates that they are not the same as the average-weight person. That they are so different they need a whole show to contain it. But Seriously! Seriously? Why do "bigger" people need their own show? There's all sorts of sizes in Say Yes to the Dress. And what the hell kind of bride would agree to be on this show in the first place, anyway? Of course, that's just my humble opinion. But I'm definitely not a fan of this concept. That's all the wisdom I have for you today. 


Sincerely,
Savvy   

No comments: