Monday 12 June 2017

Data Update Numero Uno



     For my final report, I will be using the Vancouver Food Vendors dataset. This data consists of information pertaining to the open, licensed, food trucks in the city of Vancouver. The column headings include: key, latitude, longitude, vendor type, status, business name, location and description. The "key" column heading I was immediately confused by. My original guess was that it might be the business license number. I was not sure how to go about finding the correct answer, as I did not see any clues or patterns in the data itself. It is strange because the data in this column contains both letters, numbers, that are between 2-4 digits. I proceeded to contact one of the food trucks, who also had no idea what "key" meant. I even turned to Google but did not come to a conclusion. From what I gather, it most likely has nothing to do with location, since there is already a column for latitude, longitude and location. My next step, will be to ask my peers and instructor, if that does not work, I plan on contacting the city of Vancouver. In terms of questions, I hope to answer the mysterious column category, first and foremost. I am further interested in what percentage of food trucks apply but do not receive a business license? What is the maximum number of food trucks authorized by the city? How long do these vendors on average stay in business? Why do the first 18 vendors not have a business name in this dataset? Lastly, how much has the percentage of food trucks increased over the last five years?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your dataset seems to be very interesting however I am also confused by what the "key" column means. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with the location because of the longitude and latitude columns. The last question you asked seems to be the most interesting because it seems as if food trucks have increased quite a bit in Vancouver in the past five years.

Anonymous said...

Richard M:
First off, I really enjoyed this post. Big plus: the customized title.

I loved the story about the key search: your voice comes through in the post.

I must investigate the Juice Truck and Loving Hut, for clues or patterns, to get to the bottom of the key mystery. As your peer, I may also have to contact Culver City Salads.

Unknown said...

I find you put a lot of work into your blog post and it is really engaging when opening it up! I am curious to know where the most food trucks are and what type of food trucks they are. I think you raise some great questions. One of the questions I would like to know that you asked, was how many food trucks does the city allow. And I agree it will be very interesting to see how much the food truck industry has increased in the past five years!