Monday 26 June 2017

Data Update Numero Dos


The Northwest Territories has the highest rate per 100,000 population of homicide in Canada. My slice of data shows homicide rates per 100,000 population for each province and territory and the total rate per 100,000 in Canada.

My Excel Workbook contains my raw data and sample slice.

In 2016, the Yellowknife Now reported the Northwest Territories as having the highest rate of homicide in Canada. This is evident in the original dataset I have chosen.

The CBC reported that "nearly one quarter of homicide victims across Canada [are] aboriginal." I believe this adds context and depth to my assignment because there is a higher population of Indigenous nations in the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and the Yukon.

4 comments:

Jayson E said...

Im interested to see where the rest of the report will go. I remember reading or hearing about increased violence rates in the northern provinces of Canada and it made me think about the differences in social welfare between provinces.

Unknown said...

I find it interesting that the NWT has the highest homicide rate, but I guess that would make sense due to the smaller population in that territory? I'm curious about the rest of your report and I will definitely be keeping my eye out for more information on this topic from now on.

Unknown said...

Interesting data to chose Savi! Its to bad the food truck didn't work but I think this data is very interesting. I look forward to reading more about your data as this is something I am interested in. I wonder what you will use for your visual, and I will check back to see your next assignment so I can follow. Great job so far!

Unknown said...

This is such a relevant topic right now. Recently, I have been seeing an increase in news reporting of violence or higher than usual suicide rates in the the Northern region of Canada. You made your data set very clear and easy to understand. I look forward to seeing your final project.